Friday 17 January 2020

Pissouri, Cyprus - living on a hill.

Updates:
1) Water. It seems that the location of the broken water supply pipe has been found, by using a drone. Unfortunately it is in a difficult to reach place and now the authorities have to work out how to get heavy machinery there. In the mean time tankers continue to fill the reservoirs and (touch wood) I seem to be getting mains water every 3 days.
There must be a global conspiracy - washing machines everywhere manage to lose just 1 sock! 
2) Mosaic. My mosaic has now dried for 24 hours and I am awaiting instructions as to the final steps. I will post it when it is done.

There was thunder, lightening and rain overnight. This island produces some epic storms.

After breakfast the skies had cleared, although it was still very windy, and I walked up to the village square to go to the supermarket there. I couple of the bars that had been all closed up, now had doors open and, although there were no customers, they gave the impression that they were open for business or nearly so.

The village cats will lose their preferred sunning spots at the tables.
I made the mistake of speaking to this one as I took his picture and he followed me up the street with an insistent meow.
Old buildings sit next to new.
And some you can't tell if they are renovated old or new, made to look old.
A couple of blocks behind Annie's House is a road (make that "was a road") leading to another development. After lunch I decided to explore up it. The village is built on a hillside but here those steep sides to the road ore not rock, but mud. Heavy rains have taken their toll.
To get to the development that overlooks mine I would have to climb up to the old village, then up to the new village, then across the top of the hill and back down again. It was worth it to traverse this mess.

And the views were also worth it.

Magpie lookouts on a chimney. The development was quite new, many with pools and lovely gardens but a lot of them were for sale (Brexit?, landslides? water?)

I climbed up onto a hill to look down on Sunrise development, where I am staying.
Annie's House if in that block, 3rd one in, but you can't really see it from this angle.
The hills were just starting to show the spring flowering Anemones.


There are 2 landslide areas along this side of the hill;

The road, that I walked back down
and the area close to the road into the village where the slide has had some disastrous impacts on the houses.
In between is a cemetery

Which has managed to survive for at least 65 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment