Sunday 5 January 2020

Pissouri, Cyprus - walk to Papantoniou

On the balcony I am at bird height, near the top of the surrounding trees, giving me a chance to see some of the European birds. Then of course I have a struggle to identify them especially as Cyrprus is on a migratory path.

From the balcony this morning. He may be a Eurasian Blackcap, a winter visitor.

The blackboard outside the Pissouriana hotel which has a bar/restaurant shows the importance of the British expat community to the village.

My agenda for the day was to try again to find the bus stop and I also needed milk. I checked at the small supermarket in the village square but it was closed. It is Sunday after all. I decided to walk to the big supermarket at the bottom of the hill, Papantoniou. The same as yesterday, the walk down was fine.

There is no recycling pick up at the house and I haven't seen bins anywhere around the neighbourhood but I was happy to see I could bring glass down to the depot next to the supermarket and it looked like there were bins for other recyclables at the pharmacy next door.

I have seen old boats used as garden planters but I think this is the first time I have seen a car used for that purpose.

Near the bottom of the hill, as I was walking back up, I found a bus stop. The schedule posted inside was for Pissouri to Limassol, 3 times a day.
I took advantage of the bench half way up the hill but really the walk back from the supermarket is not as long or as steep as the one I was doing in Funchal last year. If I do this regularly though I should be in good shape for the Bruce trail hiking in the spring.

Success! I found another bus stop, in the village, opposite the internet cafe and there was a schedule for both Limassol and Paphos. The first bus to Paphos leaves at 7:40. Weather depending, I will try for that one on Wednesday (the next day without 100% chance of rain in the forecast)

One advantage to the living areas on the 2nd floor is the great expanse of sky.

The sun goes down behind the hill that is behind me, well before official sunset, but still lights up the clouds
and this evening also provided a rainbow.

No comments:

Post a Comment