Thursday 21 March 2024

Crete - Chania, Maritime Museum

 There are more Carnival photos but I went to Chania today so would rather post about that and return to the Carnival later.

Down at the bus station for the 10am bus to Chania and there were still residual rollers from yesterdays wind.


There was an announcement that the bus would be a few minutes late but there is really no hardship waiting, with the sound and the smell of the sea.

When I got to Chania (about an hour on the bus), I went down the shopping street that Rick and I had found

and couldn't resist fondling some of the lovely leather purses. Resisted buying one though.

I went a bit deeper into this part of town than we had before and found the walls of the inner fortress. The town was also walled.

There was English signage about the excavations that indicated the area had been occupied well before the Venetian fortification.

As I wandered this area

I kept coming across bits of wall

and excavations.

I finally ended up down at the harbour

and walked around to the Maritime Museum. There was still scaffolding up around the entrance but the door was open

and they were happy to take my entrance money as I was the only person there.

It's in a lovely old building

right on the harbour.

Each room depicts a different time in history

There are lots of models. This shows how the entrance to the harbour would have been blocked by a chain for defense.

Most of the displays are models of ships

but there's also paintings, photographs, maps and descriptions/analysis of naval campaigns.




Through WW II and

including present day naval vessels.

There was a volunteer working in the model shop.

Another room with shells

and marine life,

including a map of Sea Turtle nesting areas.

All in all an excellent museum, well worth the $6 and and hour and a half I spent there.

No comments:

Post a Comment