Thursday 14 March 2024

Crete - Rethymno. An embarrassment of lemons.

 I was sure I once read a book with that title but I have googled it and only find "An Embarrassment of Mangoes" (which I have also read). My landlady, Eleni, arrived the other day with more olive oil, oregano and a grocery bag full of lemons and oranges from her trees. The oranges went straight in the frig and I will make myself a glass of fresh squeezed every couple of days. It's not good for acid reflux but I can't resist it.

So these were the lemons. I took the best of them and put them in the frig, some in the fruit bowl and stored the rest in the laundry room. They soon began to go off so, guiltily, I threw them out. But I still had a ton of lemons.

I already have access to fresh lemons (they flower in the spring, whether you have picked them or not so this tree is buzzing with bees)

on the tree that grows up next to my back balcony. Although technically it is in the garden of the apartment below me, but I can just reach over and pick them, there's plenty.

Photo taken from the street.

There's also a lemon tree

in front of the building though I don't know who would claim that as there are 3 apartments (mine is one) that use that entrance.

Anyway, I had to figure out what to do with so many lemons. Google recipes of course.

First I made lemon loaf. There is no mixer here. Not the kind of thing that most holiday makers are looking for in their rental accommodation. They are here for the beaches and the tavernas. But I didn't find it difficult to cream butter and sugar by hand


and mix in eggs, flour, baking powder and zest of a lemon.

While it was baking I took a short walk around the neighbourhood

documenting

the cats.

Most are quite shy and have the snip in the ear that indicates they are feral and have been neutered.

But some are obviously pets.

No loaf pan here so I made it in a round foil container. Looks more like a cake. Once cooked I poked it with a fork and poured a sugar and lemon juice mixture over it to soak in. It's delicious but the only problem is it just used one of the lemons!

Next project.....lemon curd

No whisk here so I "McGivered" one out of 2 forks.

1 cup of sugar, 3 eggs, zest of 3 lemons and a cup of lemon juice (used 6 lemons). Whisk together and microwave for 1 minute at a time, stirring in between. As it starts to thicken add a tablespoon of butter and keep doing the 1 minute microwave then stir until it thickens up. I did this 5 times and then once for 30 seconds (cook time of 5 minutes and 30 seconds).

As it cools it will thicken even more. Lasts for 2 weeks in the frig but I doubt it will last that long. I will have it on yogurt, fruit, toast.....and just by the spoon out of the jar. At least this used 6 lemons. I will use the rest in cooking and salad dressings.

No comments:

Post a Comment