Tuesday 12 March 2024

Crete - Rethymno. Spanakopita and the stairs.

 

The phyllo making place reminded me that I had phyllo in the freezer. I had made the baklava in an oval dish and had cut the excess phyllo off and frozen it. 
 

I followed a recipe, roughly, as I didn't have exactly what was called for.

I fried, in olive oil, onions and garlic and added spinach, a couple of eggs, cinnamon, feta cheese and cream cheese. (The recipe called for nutmeg, not cinnamon, and ricotta, not cream cheese).

I laid out the thawed phyllo, a couple of strips at a time, sprinkled with olive oil

put a dollop of the mixture on one end

and folded it up to make triangle packages. Brushed with butter and baked in the oven.

It turned out really well and tasted just like the ones I have been ordering for lunch when we were out and about.

My walks, since Rick left, have been more "wanders"

and taking pictures


of random things as they catch eye. This in a church window.

No idea why the juxtaposition of the scooters and the water polo graphic appealed to me, but it did.

At the end of every walk there is THE STAIRS! It is a walk up hill to get to the bottom of them (arrow on the right) and I usually stop there and get my heart rate back down before starting up them.

Half way up there is a bench and when we first got here I always had to stop here and get my breath back. Its a nice view so no hardship in this.

Then continue on, up to the top. Now, after a month of doing those stairs, I can make it all the way to the top, where I then stand for a while to get the heart rate down.

Gasping for breath I am looking at this vacant lot and one day I realized

it had more in it then these little yellow flowers that are everywhere.

It also had Dandelions,

some little flowers that looked like Marigolds,

masses of these purple ones and

a scattering of Poppies. Lovely.

Here's the last pictures from Germany. Rick visited the Nyphtenburg Palace, on his last day in Munich. He said "Never seen anything so big. Its the summer palace of Bavarian Kings. Ludwig II was born here."




Sorry, no identification on the duck. Looks like it might be a Grebe.

Looks like he had beautiful weather for his last day.

No comments:

Post a Comment