Wednesday 27 March 2024

Crete - Rethymno. Winding down

As today was an "at home" day I only had one agenda item: get a gift for the "butcher lady"

The lady who is usually behind the counter in the butchers shop, just down the road, is a very kind and warm person. When Rick and I dropped in for honey, early on in our time in Rethymno, she also gave us (free) a bagel shaped loaf of bread. Then Rick discovered the chocolate filled croissants and we were in more frequently and again we often got a free loaf/bagel thing. She always has a smile and when I went in last week for some honey, she only had large jars. I explained that I was leaving soon so wouldn't go through a large jar. She went into the back and came back with a small jar, 3/4 full, that she uses for her tea and gave it to me (free again, even though I wanted to pay). Every time I walk by I wave, she waves, if she doesn't have a customer she calls our "Yia sas" (hello).

So I painted a card and wrote Efaristo (but in Greek letters) and dropped it off with a potted plant. She had a customer so no time for anything but an exchange of thank yous. She is an example of the kindness and warmth I have experienced here. I suspect that it is a part of the Greek character that it is easier to find outside of tourist season.

Lunch was using up some of the food in the frig. I have an abundance of salad fixings and want to enjoy them while I can.

On to some painting. I am playing with seascapes

and I started working on the Chania lighthouse.

But it was 26 degrees today with a warm south wind and the terrace was calling.

When I booked this apartment (back, last summer) one of the things in the listing was that you could swim at the hotel next door as long as you bought a drink at the bar. Well the hotel has been closed and the pool empty and dirty. This week they cleaned it, and the hot tub, and filled it.

They hosed down the terraces and cleaned the outdoor furniture

and they are assembling an area to give shade on the roof. It may actually open just as I leave.

So warm today that there were lots of people swimming in the sea.

If everything goes according to plan I hope to take the bus to the next beach to the West tomorrow. I will take my bathing suit and may swim, if I can find a place to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment