Saturday 16 March 2024

Crete - Rethymno, getting ready for Carnival

 I went for a walk yesterday specifically to do some plein air painting and noticed there is a different feel about the town. There are way more tourists and walking around the old town I noticed a lot of them, pulling their "rollies", with phone in hand, looking for their accommodation. The suitcases were small so I am thinking it may just be for Carnival weekend.

I walked past the little church and considered it for a painting. No

Maybe this little grouping. No

I ended up on a bench, in the sun, with the sound of the sea below and behind me and a gentle breeze. Perfect. It was lovely to just lose myself in the scene.

I have no idea how long I painted for, it was just so pleasant.

I am happy with parts of this and can see improvements to make.

I continued walking around the fortezza. Parking was at capacity, the road was busy and the few hotels and cafes at the start of the old town were either packed with patrons or

with busy workmen.

I had read really good reviews for the Galini restaurant and when Rick went looking for it he couldn't find it. It looked like maybe the building had been sold for apartments. But when I asked the large crew of people working on it, they said it would open Saturday. I am going to have to try it. It is the #5 restaurant on Tripadvisor.


I went to Othanos for lunch (Rick and I went there twice). I had the grilled mushrooms in a cream garlic sauce (love them!) and tried the eggplant with three cheeses, grilled (I didn't love these, but you don't know until you try them. One of the cheeses had a slightly sour taste)

Like many of the restaurants, Othanos was decorated for Carnival.



It's not just the restaurants, bakeries

and stores are decorated for carnival too.

I found a street with fabric stores

and perhaps they sew the costumes too.



I can see this as a rug, I will have to find out who the artist is.


Flags and banners along the main street

and there are 2 of these in each block, looks like it is going to be loud!

It is supposed to happen at 2pm tomorrow afternoon. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment