Saturday 30 March 2024

Crete - traveling home

 My landlady, Eleni, had offered to drive me to Heraklion but emailed yesterday that she and her son were both ill, so she could not. Instead she arranged for a taxi to take me to the bus station. I hadn't really though about the fact it was a Saturday, so fewer buses and more people. The first bus, after I got to the station, was full, so I had to wait another hour.

The market was in full swing

so time for a quick sketch.

 The bus was full, but the scenery was great. I caught a taxi from the bus station to the hotel (the one that Rick and I stayed at our first night here) and arranged for that driver to pick me up in the morning to take me to the airport.

I thought I had better stretch my legs as they will be cramped up all day tomorrow, so walked down to the marina.

"Phelan Good"

didn't actually look as if she was feeling good at all.

I sat on a bench, soaking up the sun and warmth (26 today) as I know I am returning to cold and grey.

Enjoying the sights

and sounds of the

busy

Saturday afternoon and

the view of the fortress.

I stopped at the Marina Restaurant that Rick and I ate at on our first night, but now they had tables and chairs outside and I was actually searching for shade.

The salad I ordered was so huge that I couldn't finish it - greens, apples, figs, walnuts, cherry tomatoes, sun dried tomatoes and fried Haloumi cheese with a fruity balsamic dressing.

I continued around the harbour - the sailing school has Lasers and Optimists.




When Rick and I were here just before he left we got pretty comfortable in the streets around the hotel we stayed in then. But I managed to get completely lost in the streets behind the harbour trying to find my hotel. I did come across this museum, unfortunately closed, that would have been fascinating - Museum of Ancient Greek Technology.

Less interested in this. From its website it says it is the first museum in Greece dedicated to the history of electronic gaming but it is not clear on the site whether it is even open yet.

Just as I was thinking I was going to have to ask someone, I turned a corner, and found my hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment