Friday 30 March 2018

Port de Soller, Mallorca, Spain - Final days

After my long walk on Wednesday I took it easy on Thursday.
I did a bit of weeding in Liz and Martin's garden but mostly I read on a lounger in the sun. Finally the temperature is in the low 20s!
I swam, just 4 lengths as it was pretty cold, but I just had to go in, it looked so inviting.
Liz had reserved us a table at NuNu for my farewell dinner and we sat outside even though it was a little cool (note the blue blankets)
so that we had a front row seat for the sunset.
I sat on the beach wall, with a glass of Cava, happily snapping pictures

of the beautiful sky and reflections in the bay,
until the reflections that I was getting were from the lighthouse beam.

We started by sharing tuna tartar and suckling pig spring roll. Then Liz had the lamb special (with stuffed zucchini and lemon jelly) and I had the scallops in a brandy and bechmal sauce. We both had dessert and then Liz asked the owner to serve his special brandy. She didn't actually want the brandy, she just wanted the show, as he set it on fire and poured it between the 2 glasses.



The following day, Friday, I spent packing, sweeping and then went for a short walk.
First I followed Liz and Martin's directions and found what they told me was the oldest olive tree in Mallorca.
Martin had told me it was estimated over 2000 years old
Then I walked up the Figuera valley. It is the last walk that I did last year and I realized I hadn't yet done it this year.
The rain and now warmth has everything green and lush
This years blossoms and last years berries.
Nasturtiums growing wild along the river bank.
Happy and hot tile on a chimney.

A sheep snoozing in the sun.
The almond trees were in blossom when I arrived and now the almonds are growing.
Fresh eggs and lemons for sale at the end of one driveway.
Some beautiful fincas up here with large tracts of land. Would be a full time job just keeping all the terrace walls repaired.

I had been climbing for about 45 minutes when I saw a sign indicating a walking trail to Soller. I started along it, past more modest fincas and walked for about 20minutes before deciding to turn back - I had no map, no hat, no water, no food
and didn't even have my good hiking boots on.
Stones on the roof to stop the tiles blowing off.
Looks big enough to be 2 chickens.
I thought this dove was a stone ornament until it moved.
The primulae (still flowering) and the oregano will end up in one of the gardens but Liz thinks she will paint this container and leave the lettuces for her next tenants.
I am all packed and ready to be picked up at 5:30am for my flights to Cardiff. Next stop Wales and the forecast is 7 days of rain. I am not sure of Chris' internet situation so the blog may be delayed 'til I get home.

No comments:

Post a Comment