Monday 26 March 2018

Port de Soller, Mallorca, Spain - storms and gardening

The last 2 days have been constant rain and the night in between was wild; gale force winds and downpours. I barely slept and had to go outside a number of times to clear the drain holes on the terrace so it didn't flood and come in the apartment. There were floods all over the island and lots of weekend activities were cancelled, including parades for the start of Easter week.
When I finally bundled up and left the apartment, yesterday afternoon
there was lots of evidence of the stormy weather; turned over pots,
broken awnings,
shredded umbrellas and
that poor boat was on its side again!
I spent my time reading, watching TV, and crafting. Liz, Rachel (an Irish woman who, with her husband, is in the process of moving here) and I went out to lunch, just to get out of the house. Liz and I also made plans regarding her garden and what we could do if her workmen didn't return on Monday. They had said they had to get started on another project but Liz hadn't been sure if they were joking with her or not. Not being fluent can really get in the way of understanding humor. We had talked through what the essentials were for her clients who arrive on Wednesday and had decided that we could do the last bit of tiling under the instruction and supervision of Martin (Liz' boyfriend, who is currently on crutches so can't do it himself)
Anyway, at 8am this morning I heard the workmen's voices, so I wont be learning how to tile.
Liz power washed all the tiles on both sides of the house and the patio. They get mold growing on them in the winter and were filthy from the amount of cement work done in the garden. I tackled this flower bed.
The BBQ is located just below the bed and last year clients set fire to the palm tree and aloe plants growing in it. So I dug up the remaining plant
and moved it to under the lemon tree. I also transplanted some spider plants into the same spot. Liz has tons of spider plants all raining baby spider plants. I also pruned the lemon tree as it was too low over the new stairs up to the patio.
Who knew lemon trees had thorns?
After weeding and digging over the bed, I laid down black plastic and then flagstones.
Then gravel on top, a small stone wall around the lime tree (should be fire proof now)
and more spider plants transplanted and some nasturtiums. I also did some other weeding and trimmed back the ivy that was growing over the wall. It felt great to be gardening. It will be a while before I can do much at home.
Liz is going to put out the cushions and garden decor tomorrow to take photos for her rental websites so I will post pictures of the complete garden tomorrow.
Liz served us a "Full English Breakfast" for lunch. A whole plate of protein; egg, bacon, 2 kinds of sausage and baked beans.

Walking round the bay to go and sketch there was still storm evidence.
The torrente was full
and roaring into the sea.
The beach was covered in debris.
I walked around to the rocks opposite the north lighthouse and sat and sketched it
then just sat for a while, enjoying the sun and the view.

No comments:

Post a Comment