Saturday 10 February 2018

Port de Soller, Mallorca, Spain - market and exploring a bit of Soller.

Every time I woke up this morning I could hear it raining, so I turned over and went back to sleep. I didn't even hear Liz knocking at the door (she says she was there at 9:30) and didn't get out of bed until 10:30!
When I finally opened the curtains on the front door there was a bag of hats, scarves and a headband. All the mountains had snow and it came quite a long way down. Liz said that some of the roads to the higher villages were closed. I gratefully wore one of the woolly headbands most of the day.
When I got down to the tram it was jammed full. There is a special tour that includes the train from Palma, the tram to Port and a meal at Mar y Sol restaurant and I think I just managed to hit that time.
The tram went back empty ???? and I had to wait another half hour for the next regularly scheduled one.
Just enough time for coffee and an Ensaimada (the Mallorcan breakfast roll)
I could see my breath and it felt like a crispy fall day.
I used my newly acquired tram ticket for the first time.
Although it was about 12:30 the market had not yet packed up and I bought my vegetables, jar of local honey and 2 primula that I couldn't resist, but will have to keep inside until it warms up. Heather will be disappointed to hear that the olive stall wasn't there. I will have to get olives on another Saturday.
I then explored some of the streets
in the area behind the church.
They are old and narrow and
have stunning mountain views.
You can see the honey coloured stone in the house and on the mountain.
Climbing out of the town there were also orchards

and gardens to see.
I walked back down into the main square and settled at my usual restaurant for tapas and a glass of wine. I stroked the dog of the lady sitting next to me and this started a conversation. British, she had lived in Soller for many years and runs, with a partner, the website www.sollerweb.com . It is in English and lists, events, news etc for the area. Along with other info and tips she invited me to attend "beginners line dancing" on Monday evening (they are looking for participants I gather)

which is in a lovely old building.
I took the tram back to Port and noticed a band "warming up" at the bar. Oh yes, its Carnival today. But that is for the next blog post.
I will leave you with this, sign on the Chinese restaurant;
Hmmm, closed Tuesday? closed Thursday? maybe it's closed both days.
Closed Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment