Sunday, 25 February 2018

Port de Soller, Mallorca, Spain - so many rainy days, Es Port and El Pirata

After our taxi tour we had three days of rain. Sometimes torrential, sometimes showers, always cool. We would pop out for the required cafe con leche or to go to the grocery store but the rest of the time was devoted to books, tablets, computers, snuggling under a furry throw ("wolf blanket"),wine, beer and Scrabble games. I was disappointed for Christine and Chris (Wales), Nicky and Dave and Eve as they only had a week and were not able to see everything that Mallorca can offer in its, usual, nice weather.
We cooked up a big pot of spaghetti sauce one day and all 6 of us ate and drank and talked and laughed.  It was very nice to have an apartment that could accommodate all of us at the table and seated comfortably in the living room too. One night Nicola and Dave treated us to dinner at Es Port Hotel which had an excellent buffet.
From the living room window we could watch the clouds getting trapped in the valleys or totally obscuring the mountains around us.
All that rain was snow at higher elevations.
On one of my brief walks I watched the fishermen cut off the worn rope ends
and splice the rope to reattach the hardware. They thought it quite amusing that I would consider this activity photo worthy.
We had cabin fever so decided to go to Es Port for coffee, taking the recycling on the way. The apartment has a plastic bag for each of paper products, glass, metal and plastic and they have to be taken to their respective dumpsters.
Es Port Hotel sits a block back from the sea front in a renovated olive mill.
It has beautiful gardens and
outside seating areas and I can see myself coming up for a coffee (or wine) on a nice day, to sketch.
Inside there are lots of comfy places
We saw people reading, knitting, playing cards or just enjoying a drink beside a roaring fire.
We wandered around, through passages ways
into the different rooms
and examined the olive press equipment before
settling near the bar, with this view of the olive press
to play euchre and drink coffees and liquors. Then we phoned Christine and Chris who were holed up in their hotel room, to come and join us.
It was Nicola and Dave's last day in Mallorca so we "bar hopped" down to El Pirata, which had just reopened, for another drink and lunch.
Eve and I had had an excellent dinner here last year and this time we ordered a selection of tapas. Shown; grilled vegetables and goat cheese, spring rolls, melon and serrano ham.
Nicola and Dave left for their flight to Barcelona were they stayed for 2 days before flying home. Luckily their weather was better there.

No comments:

Post a Comment