Friday 10 February 2017

Mallorca Day 11 - walk to Soller and back.

The path to Soller starts from the roundabout on the edge of Port de Soller.
In a car you go through a tunnel, walking you go over the pass.
Because I knew that a portion of the walk would be on roads and then in Soller, I didn't bring my hiking poles. In places I regretted this.
I had seen, and smelled, smoke and passed 2 guys pruning the olive trees (with a chainsaw) and burning the branches.
Up, through terraces and olive trees.
Amazing to think how old these terraces could be and
these
olive

trees.
The terrain was varied with some gravel,
some sand and loose stones,
a couple of places awash but with handily placed stepping stones
stone paths and
farm tracks.

Through the pass and
on the way down to Soller.
The trail I did the other day had a variety of makeshift wire gates but this has substantial wooden ones.
I kept seeing these growing on and around the stone walls. Internet research gave them a name: Arisarum vulgare, common name "Friar's Cowl"
They look like miniature versions of the Jack-in-the-pulpit that we get in Canada.
I heard the bells of this flock before I saw them.
Walked past an orchard with citrus trees and almonds in bloom.
One hanging right over the path.
Down from the hill I was now walking through a residential area with large gardens.
Many with orange and

lemon trees

and one with a totally ineffective guard dog. He just wagged.
The walk took me through the streets of Soller again.
This time I got into town in time to "top up" my unlocked phone. Luckily the SIM card I bought last year was still good so all I needed was to put some more money on it.
Lunch in a cafe on the main square started with bread, olive oil, olives and wine.
Then grilled sardines, salad and fries (with garlic mayonnaise to dip them in). I sat next to 2 young Dutch guys who were here on a cycling holiday. A bit different from the flat land cycling in Holland. They come every year and were excited because they had met some of the pros who come here to train.
I was going to take the tram home but it went by before I had finished so, rather than wait another hour, I decided to walk back.
Many of the stores close from 1 or 2pm until 5pm and then are open until 7 or 8.
On my way in at about 12:30
On my way out at about 2:30
Cat at the restaurant.
Cat at the ceramic store.
Cat wanting to be let in. I think I am missing Rasta!
I got home just as it was clouding over and getting cooler. My Fitbit is very happy with me. I just "synced" it and I did 20,000 steps today. It feels like it!

1 comment:

  1. That looks like a great hike - but definitely one that should be done with poles.

    ReplyDelete