Wednesday 8 February 2017

Mallorca Day 9 - Snow?

Eve e-mailed and asked if she should pack sandals. Yesterday, sweating as I hiked, in a T-shirt, I would have said yes. Today however.......
I would have to say no!
Yes, that's snow up there.
And up there.
It thunder stormed in the night and rained hard enough for some water to seep in at the door. It was 12 degrees at its warmest today. When the rain stopped I went for a walk and the air felt fresh and cool in my lungs.
I did sit outside for my cafe y tarte but I was wearing an undershirt, a long sleeved shirt, a vest, a fleece and a windbreaker. There were people out walking with woolly hats and gloves on.
There was blue sky out over the sea
and there were some sunny breaks
but then the clouds would hide the mountains again and the drizzle would start.

After a walk around the harbour in one of the weather breaks I decided it was a relax inside kind of day. Reading and crafting. I had loaded my tablet up with books from the library but then forgot it at home (thanks to Simon's kindness Eve will be bringing it with her) so I have been working my way through the books Angela has in her cupboard here.
So far I have read these 2.
"Me before you" is very readable, even though the subject matter wasn't very appealing; a young woman hired to be a companion for a quadriplegic. It was written with humour and sensitivity and the jacket cover warned you would cry and they were right.
"Circling the Sun" was also excellent. It was about the woman, Beryl Markham, raised in Africa in the 1920s, who was the first woman to fly the trans-Atlantic.

This coaster took me the better part of the afternoon as I was trying out a new stitch on it. Looks like this on one side and
like this on the other. It takes much more time and thread than the stitch I was using but I have lots of Brit's lovely thread here and lots of time when it is cold and rainy outside. Like rug hooking it is rhythmic and meditative, relaxing.
It is not supposed to rain tomorrow though it is still going to be cold. I think I will take the car and explore the surrounding country a bit. As long as the snow has gone, my little rental doesn't have snow tires!

1 comment: