Monday 27 February 2017

Mallorca Day 28 - Laying low in Port

The day before she left, Eve developed a cough and sore throat. Well now I have it. I met an Englishwoman today who said "everyone has got it" and blamed it on the English midterm holidays. She said she gets sick every year right after all the English school kids go home. Anyway sore throat, cough, runny nose, low grade fever; I thought it best just to hang out in Port today.
Fishing boat out in the bay. I went for my usual morning walk, starting in the commercial harbour.
One of the small fishing boats came in and
this was their catch; fish and squid.
Walking around the bay
major renos are being finished off,
the beach is being cleaned of the winter debris
and little places are being cleaned, aired out and
freshened up with a coat of paint. The season really starts here in March.
I vowed that while I don't have company I will sketch something every day. I haven't done one yet that I am happy with and I want to push myself a bit to sketch faster, with less emphasis on detail, in the hope that that will improve my end result, when I do take the time.
So I sat on the beach wall and did a quick one
in between watching an egret
fishing.
I decided to have coffee at a restaurant that has just opened back up, at the far end of the bay
and decided I should try a classic still life as all the tables had lemons on them.
Kingfisher (the restaurant just below the apartment) re-opens on Wednesday, the sign is being redone
everything is being cleaned inside, all the table and chairs are out and all the flowers have been replaced in the planters along the ledge.
Around 5 or 6pm the big fishing boats come back in, followed by their flocks of gulls, then they carry the catch, along the dock, to a storage area. A lot more than that little boat this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment