Friday 3 February 2017

Mallorca Day 4 - Es Faro

This mornings walk was just to pick up some groceries but I explored a little further afield first.
I found the Port de Soller tourist office, in the middle of the marina.  It was closed. However it did have a bus schedule posted and a map to the bus stop.
I found the roundabout where the bus stops and also where the hike to Soller starts. Excellent.
On the way back I searched for the source of the bells and found a herd of brown sheep, all with big bells around their necks.
The weather forecast was for rain at about noon and again at about 4, so I decided to make my decision, about what to do today, after lunch. It was warm enough to eat outside and the sun was shining so I packed my backpack, changed my shoes and set out.
As I was making my way around the harbour it clouded over and clouds obliterated the tops of the mountains. It was one of those days; sun, blustery wind, clouds and feel of rain, then back to sun.......
That's where I was going; around the bay and up to Es Faro (the lighthouse).
I passed a fisherman with his catch in a cooler and
his fishing equipment (spear gun, flippers etc) beside him.
I walked a little way with a German couple who said no, you can't walk to the other lighthouse
it is part of the naval base.
But they did say that with "a little trespassing" you can get to the watchtower on the hill above.
It's a windy, and, in places, steep road.
Climbing higher.
This wire sculpture was on the roof of a house perched on a cliff over the sea.
These houses have great views but
you've got to be a mountain goat to go for a swim.
Higher
The walk wasn't all residential, some rock and pines and grasses and
wildlife?
Nearly there, just a couple more twists in the road.
Finally! It was built in 1842 and started use in 1852. It used an olive oil lantern until converted to electricity in 1944. In 1952 it was struck by lightning and reverted to the oil lantern again until rewired in 1963. It is still in use.
Just beyond the lighthouse there was another walking trail map and the start of a well marked trail. For another day.
Port de Soller from the lighthouse.

Out to sea from the lighthouse.
Unfortunately I couldn't see anywhere to sit and sketch. The lighthouse itself is fenced off and the parking lot is below it. There is a restaurant up there (closed) but it doesn't have a view of the lighthouse. I walked back down with my thighs now burning. I haven't walked anything that steep since Peru, but if I want to do some of these mountain walks I will have to get in shape.
Fishing with 3 poles
Fishing with no poles.
In spite of the weather forecast, and the banks of clouds that came and went, it never rained. Sometimes I needed the vest and wind breaker on and sometimes I didn't. It was one of those coat on, coat off, days. Tomorrow is Saturday so I plan to go into Soller, on the tram, to go to the market.

No comments:

Post a Comment