Saturday 25 February 2017

Mallorca Day 26 - Goodbye Eve. Hello Carnival

Hugged and waved as Eve left at 6:45 this morning and then went back to bed. When I finally got up it was 10:30. I couldn't believe it. I did some laundry, swept and mopped and then went out for the morning walk (by now it was afternoon)
A sailboat I haven't seen before, in the commercial harbour, with this jellyfish graphic on the bow.
The trees around the harbour, among the restaurants, are developing "cattails".
While I was taking the "cattails" picture a man sitting in a cafe pointed this bird out to me. Had a quick look on line and I'm wondering if he is a Eurasian Bittern. He was at least 18 inches tall and sat up in the tree, on one leg,  for quite a long time.

On the other hand, these guys are definitely pigeons, hanging out on a Llaut.
I walked up to the bus stop and took a picture of the schedule with my camera as I am thinking of trying the bus to Valdemossa tomorrow.

These are advertised in lots of the restaurants, an "Orange Soller" and Eve and I had meant to try one but didn't get around to it. So I decided I had better. Its fresh orange juice and orange sorbet, topped with whipped cream, an orange slice and a drizzle of dark chocolate. You need both a spoon and a straw. It was very refreshing. Sorry Eve, I think you would have loved it.

Although the weather forecast had been for cool, partly sunny, it was clear, sunny and warm when I sat and sketched.
Someone had told us that Carnival was this weekend but I didn't see much evidence until about 3pm when a stage and sound system was set up out in the middle of the marina.
And this guy stood on a platform and started to get dressed as a woman with his buddies, drinking beer in the nearby cafe, egging him on.

Then, at about 4, I heard a marching band and set out to see what was happening.

I managed to get a seat at Brothers Bar, right at the front. Here comes the marching band.
Sometimes I had to jump up and step into the road to get a picture but sometimes I could take it from my seat, between sips of wine. Sorry Heather, there are clowns.
I wasn't sure the point of some of the themes and costumes but they seemed to be having fun.

The ballet bar was on wheels and every now and then the 2 guys would stop and pose. The crowd would cheer.
At first glance they look like bags of popcorn but actually they are carrying babies in "snugglies" with popcorn kernels attached to the back of their little hoods.
The Trolls sang and danced and clapped and periodically stopped and hugged each other and people in the audience.
This group had a demanding choreographed dance and were sweating.

The people watching were as colourful as the participants.
The parade continued along the road and into the parking area in the middle of the marina.
When I caught up some of them were still performing
but most were milling around in front of the stage.
I think these were the judges.
It looked to me as if every group ended up on stage getting an award at some point. The balloon girls had a hard time fitting up there.
As did all the trolls.
It was all wrapped up by about 5:30 although there were still lots of people in clusters, chatting.

Two years ago in Ceret, France, we watched the carnival parade and then the revelry went on all night. Here everything was quiet and calm, no all night parties in Port de Soller.

No comments:

Post a Comment