Monday 6 April 2020

Pissouri, Cyprus - walk with Pippa

Family and friends from home ask about Cyprus numbers. We are all focused on the numbers. I, however, have not been focused on the numbers so have been responding "I don't know". So here they are. I couldn't find numbers of deaths on a quick internet search.


Eleven people are on ventilators; two at the Limassol general hospital and nine at the Nicosia hospital’s ICU. Their condition is stable but critical.
The 465 positive cases have been detected after 11,664 tests. Of the 465 cases, 332 concern contacts. In total 45 people who had been admitted to hospital have been discharged. from Cyprus Mail, April 6, 2020

Health Minister Constantinos Ioannou said on Monday it was way too early to draw conclusions from the drop in Covid-19 cases observed in the past couple of days, as Cyprus entered the second week of strict restrictions on movement aimed at stopping the virus from spreading. from Cyprus Mail, April 6, 2020

Today I took a long walk, most of it away from anyone. I saw about 10 cars (3 of those were police cars or they may have been the same police car 3 times, each time we waved at each other) I saw one other person walking and she crossed to the other side of the street.

I looked on google earth. Worked out the route I wanted to take and

sent it to Jimmy as Kay rarely looks at her email. I then described the route to Kay on Messenger and let her know I planned to leave at about 1:30 and should be home by 3:30, 4 at the latest.
I phoned Jenny and gave her the same information. She put all of Pippa's stuff - leash, poop bags, treats, poison kit - out in the car port area. When I went to pick her up, Pippa was jumping with excitement as usual.

Up the hill out of Sunrise, left at Michael's steakhouse and past the road that I had come up from Leptos Pissouri Village. The sign still indicates that you can get to the village centre that way even though the road has been absolutely destroyed by the landslides.
We stopped for our first water break on a bench at a children's playground
with a view to the sea.
This is ground cover at the side of a house. Succulents grow so well here but I don't think I have even seen a red one, like this, for sale at home.

Now we were into an area where I could let Pippa off leash. Up to this point we had had two minor discussions. One about hunting lizards and another about chasing C-A-Ts. Out here I figured that the lizards would have to look after themselves and it wasn't a place I would expect to see cats.
Past a little grouping of houses that I would come back to and pick up the track to head home.

Better views of the sea here.

Now we were into an area that, like Panorama Heights (where the Green Day celebrations were), was approved for development and the infrastructure completed, but building never started.
On a piece of playground equipment, a European Stonechat.

Now we were on to a track leading towards the sea.

The landscape was more "scrubby" than I was used to
Very rocky, low shrubs, few flowers.
We were making a gradual descent, it was hot, we had been gone for about an hour, Pippa had drunk all her water, so I told her we would turn around at this tree.

There was more of this track to explore and I could see others branching off but they can wait for another day.
Because this is what we were now facing.

About half way back up the track we took a break in the shade. We both had some of my water, Pippa had a treat and I had a cookie
while we enjoyed the view.
There were occasional Rock Roses.

Back to the road we passed on the way. I wonder of that translates to Lord Byron.
It ended in a track

which led to this intersection. To the right would take us to the empty goat farm and straight ahead would take us home,
past more Rock Roses
and Mimosa.
I dropped Pippa back home after 2 hours and 15 mins and 12,000 steps. I felt I earned the shower and wine to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment