Tuesday 14 April 2020

Pissouri, Cyprus - walk along the cliffs

Coffee and breakfast were on the balcony today; sunny and warm. Such a contrast to what
I was reading on Facebook with cold, rain, high winds and flooding at home. Long Point was "closed" when the causeway became flooded and the pictures were saddening. I feel so badly for all those dealing with repetitive flooding in their cottages and homes as well as the virus lockdown.
I did a little weed pulling at my house, next door and #6. I then picked some lemons from the tree at #6 and dropped a couple off at Rob's front door.

This was how he repaid me - lemon meringue pie for lunch! You've got to love having a neighbour who bakes.

This is the Cyta tower.  Cyta is an internet and TV provider. The unfinished development that Pippa and I walked to last week is named after it. Today I drove up here and past the tower. I parked at the end of the road, beside a number of fenced in buildings that I didn't realize was military until a guard came out of the building nearest the gate. I called that I was just going for a walk and he waved me on. Walking around it there was a radar vehicle parked on a ramp as this is the highest spot around.
A short walk down a track and I was at the cliffs.
Steep, varied coloured rocks end at clear water.



I had started out by turning right at the cliffs, towards Paphos, knowing, from looking at Google Earth that this track would not go far.
The views were breathtaking.



I started to see these purple/grey puff balls.
They are the end result of these thistles

after the flowering stage.

The track ran along about 40ft back from the edge of the cliff and every now and then I would gingerly make my way towards the edge to get a photo. Some serious vertigo potential here
and I didn't want to end up like this goat, half way down a cliff. She looked perfectly happy, just hanging out there but I worried that she was hurt or stuck and continued on looking for a shepherd or someone else to ask. When I came back about 15minutes later she was gone. I hope she clambered back up.
The track stopped

at a natural, bowl shaped, meadow
with a flock of goats

and sheep. Probably where the "Cliff hugging" goat came from.
Looking down the water is crystal clear.
I will post more pictures of this walk tomorrow, which is a stay home, do laundry day.

Last night, while searching YouTube for virtual tours of Frank Lloyd Wright houses (I found a couple!), this popped up. I was thrilled. I watched this in Madeira last year and in Mallorca the previous 2 years but SkyArts isn't one of the channels I get here so thought I was out of luck. I watched episode 1 of the 2020 season and will ration myself to one a night. I don't know how many episodes they taped before the lockdown happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment