Thursday 2 April 2020

Pissouri, Cyprus - must avoid that bakery!

It was basically a stay at home day. I changed the bed linen, did laundry, you know the kind of day. We all know the kind of day. I was nearly out of milk (could have been another coffee crisis) so walked up to the Village Square supermarket.

There is a plot of land next to Pissouriana Hotel and the trees in it were pruned about a month ago. They are now in blossom. Not Almond. Don't know what they are; Apple? Pear?
In the square there was a lineup for the ATM and people were keeping more than 8ft apart. Better than they are at the lineup at Paps.Only one person in the supermarket and the usual sanitizers, gloves and tapping the credit card myself.

I decided to walk back along the "lower road" for a change.



Cats will inherit the earth. They were everywhere and not bothered. Could lie in the street, on the cafe patios, wherever they wanted.
I have walked this way a number of times but there hasn't been much activity at the bakery. It was probably in the afternoon. Today the bakery van was there and the smells dragged me through the door.
Inside were lots of trays of fresh baked bread. It is very definitely a commercial bakery but you can just step in the door and purchase too. I bought 4 rolls that looked like bagels but I knew they weren't. They were still warm!
It wasn't a baguette, but I felt a little French, strolling along, eating my fresh roll out of a white paper bag
Unusual cones on a Conifer at the side of the road. Looked it up and it is an Italian Cyprus.
In one of my previous posts, Heather commented about me calling a plant a weed rather than a wild flower. We then talked about how the wild flowers could break up asphalt and return the land to its original state. Here's another wild flower doing just that.
With tiny little flowers.
Almonds already growing.


Hoopoe on the road ahead of me.
Light and doughy with a slight sesame flavour. Delicious!
In January, when visiting Kay, we went through her watercolour supplies and she lent me a brush and a book. She had also offered me some watercolour paper. Today  I asked her if I could take her up on that and she left it out on her garden wall for me to pick it up.

One of the reasons that I had wanted the paper was that Nicola had nudged me about the Olive tree painting and I needed a large piece of paper for this picture.
This will be a multi day project.
One of the few positives with the current situation is that I am talking to family more frequently than I usually do while I am away. I talk to Nicola almost every day, Chris a few times a week, Mike about once a week and Aimee sends me videos of Maya and Avery. I have been getting emails from Si and Dan and today video called with Mark, Emma and Sarah (and Monte, the dog)

Sarah told me about a recipe she had made and sent me the link. It looks delicious!
https://www.instagram.com/p/B-dROhDhE71/?igshid=1e4kiu1vpyf81

Daniele sent me photos of Fiona's painting project:

So creative

Now I want her to paint on my jeans.
Finally; from a Facebook link, posted by Jim Minns, about the process of dealing with and taking the time to adjust to a different world. Reacting to colleagues pushing themselves to be as productive or more productive while in social isolation.
"Understand that this is a marathon. If you sprint at the beginning, you will vomit all over your shoes at the end of the month." Aisha Ahmad, Assistant Prof at U of T.

No comments:

Post a Comment