Tuesday 7 April 2020

Pissouri, Cyprus - green almonds

A few blog posts ago I showed a picture of how much the Almonds had grown. While researching how long they would take to mature I discovered that you can eat them at this, immature stage.

So, yesterday, I picked a couple.
We tend to think of almonds as nuts, but they aren’t really, and they aren't the only spring delicacy that we’ve mislabeled. (Almonds aren’t the only mislabeled nuts; cashews, peanuts, pine nuts, and pistachios aren’t true nuts either. Looking for scintillating cocktail party banter? You're welcome.) Almonds are actually the seeds of stone fruits, so they're related to peaches, plums, apricots, and cherries. With their soft, fuzzy exteriors, green almonds even look like tiny unripe peaches, too. And green almonds are indeed unripe, as they’re picked before the almond inside the fruit has had a chance to fully mature and form a hard shell. from Food52

I cut them open and tried them. They were like a very soft almond but with little flavour. Some of the sites mentioned that you could eat the whole thing if the outer shell is still soft, but that did not appeal to me. There were lots of recipes on the internet too.
I think I will pick one periodically see how they mature.
I also picked some Mimosa, some of the yellow wildflowers and a Bird of Paradise.
Update in the "gardening  from scraps" department: I put the lettuce bottom into soil and it is still regrowing leaves.
The top of the carrot is starting to regrow the greenery. It can be used in salads and sauteed with onion and garlic.
The celery bottom has some little tiny shoots starting.
Today I don't have much to post about;

I did a bit more work on the Olive tree painting.

I started reading Midwives, a book Nicola left here. It is extremely well written and hard to put down.
The sun went down and the full moon rose as I was doing a trial run on Christine's trivia event.

No comments:

Post a Comment