Friday 10 April 2020

Pissouri, Cyprus - walk beyond the goat farm

The weather forecast today called for rain and thunderstorms in the afternoon, so I set off earlier than usual, after doing my, now, usual, system of sending the proposed route to Jimmy and describing it to Kay. I did not take Pippa as I wasn't sure how she would be if we did get caught in a thunderstorm.

There are now patches of wild Gladioli.
I was taking the walk that I have done before that ends at the empty goat farm.
The Thistles are getting truly magnificent and pose a bit of an obstacle course as they seem to prefer the centre of the track.

The earliest flowers were predominately yellow, the ones emerging now are mostly purple.

I went to check on the vine that had been in bud last time I was here

then I retraced my steps to where the track forked and went up hill.
The Anemone's are pretty well finished now
but there is still plenty of colour with the Daisies, Crepe Myrtle, Rock Roses and various others still in evidence.
I took a side track but it led to a rubbish dump and this ruin with a view.
There were some pretty impressive clouds forming over the sea but they weren't coming my way.
Last time I turned around at the goat farm, but this time I followed the track in. It was a jungle of thistles. I think goats eat anything and I hope they eat thistles.

The track continued out the other side.

I could see, on the next ridge over, the track that Pippa and I had followed a few days ago and more tracks, over there, to explore.
I followed the track to a rocky ridge
and although it went further I thought it was time I turned back.

Back up the hill

towards the weather coming in and
the goat farm with it's typical rusting fences and gates, corrugated iron roofs, bathtubs and plastic drums to hold water. It is currently occupied mostly by sparrows and swallows.
One of the differences with walking in April is the abundant insect life. I was accompanied by annoying flies on this walk and the constant buzzing of bees and beetles. These little tiny blue butterflies were everywhere as were white ones.
After a shower and lunch, I sat on the balcony and watched this slow moving thunderstorm gradually envelop the view, rumbling and flashing lightening as it went. After hours of anticipation in finally rained.

Guest photographer today is Jimmy with flowers from his and Kay's garden:

Irises



and wild garlic.

No comments:

Post a Comment