Monday 13 April 2020

Pissouri, Cyprus - Pippa and I walk towards the beach, continued.

As well as the mounds of yellow flowers in yesterdays blog post there were a few rock roses in sheltered areas
There were also a surprising number of the wild Gladioli. In the field, in front of the Leptos development, where I have been taking pictures of them, they are about 2 ft high. Up here they are miniatures,
only about 6 inches high.

The track split.

Straight ahead it went steeply downhill

so Pippa and I opted to turn right and follow the ridge.

I could see the track and empty goat farm, from the walk a couple of days ago, on the next ridge over.
I could see the other side of the village of Pissouri Beach

and the top of the Columbia Hotel.
A natural Bonsai (it was about 8 inches high)
I kept telling myself, and Pippa, "we'll turn around at that tree" or "that rock" but I kept getting lured on by a desire to see what the view was like over the next rise, around the next bend.

I knew that I wasn't going to be going all the way to the Beach, when I started, because there was no way Pippa would make it. She starts out "full of beans" but its hot and hard work and in a short while she is panting and walking slowly. I gauge my turn around by when she has drunk 3/4 of her water. I know then that with her remaining water and mine, I have enough to get her home. So we headed back, stopping in the shade periodically to rest and drink water.

Different coloured flowers on the same plant.
yellow, orange and red.
I find myself, now, taking pictures of flowers at angles
conducive to painting.

Walking back through the Leptos development, these Irises were in a garden
A beautiful display with some still to come out.
Yet another wildflower.
The walk took about an hour and a half, about 9,000 steps and Pippa and I drank 2 bottles of water between us. I will try and get all the way to the Beach and back on another day, without Pippa.

Today the only thing on my agenda was to walk to the supermarket in the square to get milk.

The orchard beside the Pissouriana hotel had been dug up and bowls formed, in the soil, around the trees, to catch water.
Some of the trees are still in blossom. I really don't want to be here to find out what kind of fruit they produce.
Loquats are ripening.
When I did my major shop, about a week and a half ago, I wasn't thinking of Easter and didn't pay much attention to the chocolate. Yesterday, in conversation with Nicola, she pointed out the error of my ways. I tend not to have chocolate in the house because of a tendency to binge on it. However I did buy some today although there was no Easter stuff in the little supermarket. Promptly, after lunch, I ate the Maltesers. The dark chocolate should last better.

No comments:

Post a Comment