Wednesday 29 April 2020

In Transit - Phase 2

I was exhausted from lack of sleep on Monday night so managed to stay awake until about 9 and slept until about 7.

The hotel had the same system for breakfast as it had for dinner and this was what was in the breakfast bag. In with the croissant was a hash brown and some scrambled eggs, so I had to go back downstairs to heat it in the microwave.
Anyone who knows me, knows how I feel about instant coffee, but I was desperate for some caffeine.
There was some sun so I went for a short walk around the neighbourhood.

It looks like it was a regular neighbourhood that got inundated by hotels because of its proximity to Heathrow.
The geraniums certainly don't grow as well here.

At the end of a small residential street, a green space, with trails and benches.

Taxi to the airport. I was there 2 hours before an international flight and there was no line up to check in or to get through security.

Heathrow Terminal 2 was empty. There was a W.H. Smith open, for books and snacks with only 3 people allowed in at a time.
Normally this screen is 4 panels wide and is handling the flights that will be departing in a 40 minute period. Today, less than one panel covering a 3 hour period.

The plane was already there, being loaded in a very leisurely manner, not the usual frantic pace. I wondered if it had come in yesterday as I believe Air Canada is only doing one flight a day to London right now.
We were called up to board one at a time. We were asked if we felt at all ill before boarding. There was very little contact with the flight attendants (they did the safety demonstration, handed out this meal, picked up the garbage, handed out a snack box and picked up that garbage.) The flight attendants wore masks and some wore full coverings. Before landing we were reminded that we had to self quarantine for 14 days if we were returning home.
Ice, in the sea, off the coast of Labrador.
Before getting to customs in Toronto we were asked to fill out a form with the address of where we would be self quaranteening and our contact information. The customs officer asked where I would be self quaranteening.
After the customs check a nurse asked about symptoms; "do you feel unwell, have a fever, have a cough...." and gave me this information sheet. Canada is certainly taking this more seriously than the UK.

Simon picked me up and we picked up Rasta on the way home. Rick and Caryn had shopped for me and also left flowers on the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment